#76. Post-op appointment - November 2012


Today I returned to the hospital for my post-operative appointment with the surgeon…I was walking into the hospital exactly two weeks after my surgery.

Yesterday when I woke up I had no pain at all, even though my medication had worn off in the night.  I wasn’t comfortable, but I wasn’t in pain. So that was a milestone.  Other days I’ve woken up with the first thought being,  I need to get my pills!

So because I was feeling so good, I got up and did some stuff that I haven’t done in a while, like laundry.  I tried not to pick up anything too heavy, but I guess I overdid it, because today I woke up in a lot of pain again.  You reap what you sow! The doctor  was clear, don’t pick up anything bigger than a phone book for four weeks.  Rest, rest, rest, that has to be my new mantra!  So hard to remember, especially now that I am starting to feel better.

I was thankful to a friend who offered to drive me to the hospital today; I could have gone myself, but I wouldn’t have been able to take my Tylenol #3s if I was driving.  And so I was not in any pain after the drive and the walk to the hospital. 

Anyway, today I was walking into the hospital and I was just grinning.  Last time I had walked in that hallway it had been very early in the morning and I was heading to the surgery to get admitted.  Now it was all behind me, and I am well on the way to recovery.  Such a fabulous feeling!